In skipping about the interwebs today I learned that I missed an opportunity to see the Northern Lights in the mountains surrounding my home. This is highly unusual, the Northern Lights are typically not visible this far south. I was suddenly devastated about missing something I didn’t know was even a possibility. This thought, which has been niggling at me all day, prompted this list, a bucket list for my life. I’ve written a number of shorter lists for the summer, or resolutions for a year, or even a 5-year plan, and I am not trying to discredit those at all, they definitely have their place. I want a larger more comprehensive list that can be a sort of guiding star for my life. Some of these items are easily accomplished in an afternoon or even a few days, others will take years of planning and action. And, frankly, that’s probably how Life should be, no?
Bucket List for Life: Harriet
- Visit all 50 states in the U.S.A.
- Visit all seven continents (yes, including Antarctica)
- Visit at least 50 of the 58 national parks in the U.S.A.
- See the Northern Lights
- Jump out of a perfectly good plane with a parachute (and an expert) strapped to my back
- Learn to ride a motorcycle
- Fly in a helicopter
- Run a full marathon
- Scuba dive in an actual ocean
- Hike a mountain over 14,000 feet tall
- Become fluent in 3 foreign languages (Mandarin, Spanish, and something else)
- Live in another country for at least 6 months
- Ride an elephant
- Go to the races! (The horse races, that is)
- Read Jesus the Christ by J. E. Talmage
- Write a book
- Get a book published
- Earn a Master’s degree
- Earn a Ph.D.
- Learn how to play the cello
- Take at least one class every year: at university, a community learning experience, or a private course
- Spend 2 weeks without technology (ideally a meditation-type retreat in the mountains)
- Sell a commissioned piece of art
- Own a home outright
- Plant a tree and watch it grow
- Plant a tree and walk away
- Give away $1 million dollars over my lifetime
- Start a non-profit organization
- Fall in love. Again and again.
- “Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Ghandi
Alright, Self, there are 30 things for your life. Get on it.
What is on your bucket list? Do you have an actual list? How do you decide what to include and what to skip?